Fearless public speaking
'Person learns speaking since the infancy age of 2-3 years, but what to speak in front of whom and how takes whole life to understand.' The fear of Public speaking is considered the topmost amongst all the fears as per the research outcomes.
But you know what? We say that there is fear, but fear has no real or physical existence out of the mind! Let’s elaborate FEAR - False Evidence Appearing Real. Fear is not actually present but is created because of half knowledge, bad experiences and wrong beliefs. Fear is a worry we carry unnecessarily and irrationally.
99 % of the things which people fear and worry about never happen. It is human psychology and tendency to see the worst things first. People do not speak; thinking like:
- What will others think?
- Will my talk be good enough or not?
- Will my point be considered?
- Whether the idea which I’ve thought is appropriate to share with?
- Will it be right or wrong if I share!!! Etc.
In all of these, he/she actually looses confidence to speak in front of group or even in small conversations and avoid speaking in public and name it Stage Fear. Fear is either 'Hardwire' (it is innate/inherited because of genes) or 'learned' (we acquire to build fear out of sensing through environment and surroundings).
Why Public Speaking is useful?
- To put points in Group Discussions
- To crack personal interviews and Job Interviews
- To maintain good relationships
- To take care of Business deals
- To pitch best ideas
- To influence the listeners and pass on the message
How to remove Social Fear?
- Take action. Just do it.
- 3 second rule - never take too much time in deciding whether to talk or give speech! Don’t over think. Do whatever comes to your mind first.
- Tap every opportunity - whenever an opportunity comes of public speaking in front of you, just try to grab that and deliver with good preparation
Don't know what to speak?
When you dont know what to speak, and you want to speak then do make an effort to find out your interest area and then design the speech content. Introspect yourself and locate whether you like to entertain people or pass on information or you like to persuade.
- People with entertainment as interest can include humor and comedy as part of speech body.
- Informative speeches can be designed having a good combination of data, facts, influencing records and conclusions. Have concrete true information and a good structure of the speech which attracts the audience.
- Persuasive speakers should include some convincing and influencing information and statements. Have good stories to share with. They should be able to put their points well and clear in front of audience boldly like Narendra Modi.
Do you go blank or forget while speaking?
- Remember the structure by making associations and links.
- Find one or more familiar faces in the crowd by looking to whom you get confidence.
- Practice speaking several times in front of mirror and your family members.
- Make use of cue cards.
Do not have fear like:
- Fear of knowledge - do prepare for the topic from several sources to have a balanced point of view and enrich the understanding.
- Fear of questions - imagine questions; what kind of questions the audience may ask when you give a particular speech. Take help of your friends, guides, and colleges. Being prepared is not a crime, take efforts to do this excercise.
- Fear of criticism - do not focus too much on self, get feedback and use the criticism constructively and prepare the next speech better and beautiful. Understand nobody knows everything. And critisisms are for our help only.
Avoid mistakes like:
- Going without preparation
- Speak what you do not know
- Rote learning (cramming)
Some tips for improving public speaking
- Gain knowledge by reading books and watch videos.
- Be observant, listen to conversations
- Do not just depend upon information, do see its reliability and relevance.
- Wear your favorite clothes when you have to give a speech. It will make you confident and less nervous.
- Take chances to speak.
- Be it any kind of speech, design its structure and deliver it in such a manner that it has a long lasting impact on the listener's mind.
- No bluffing and over loading of information is desirable.
"Duniyaa me sabse bada rog, kyaa kahenge log". Do come out of the stigmaa that what people will say if you say something. We have right to speech awarded by the Constitution of India!!!
Speak confidently. Believe in yourself. Look into eyes of your audience. Deliver well.